connecting a comparator LM393 to a 555 timer

newbieateverything

Joined Feb 25, 2013
i want to have the comparator send a signal to the square wave generator, The normal operating voltage or ref voltage is 12V, the comparator is there because i intend to introduce a higher voltage say 48V, the comprator will compare these voltages and send a signal to the timer. when there is no difference between the ref voltage and the supply voltage no signal is sent.
i would later connect the timer to a mosfet which will be connected to a LED
the LED is to flash on and off when the circuit is dealing with overvoltages.

but for now i just want to be sure that connection from LM393 to timer is correct.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, let's try and rephrase what you wrote.

A comparator will be used to compare voltage A (yet to be determined reference) with voltage B.
When voltage B exceeds voltage A, a 555 circuit will cause an LED to flash at a certain rate (yet to be determined).

You can connect the output of the comparator to the RESET input (pin 4) of the 555 timer with a pull-up resistor of about 1k to 10kΩ.

Interchange the inputs of the comparator until you get the desired result.

newbieateverything

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Ok, let's try and rephrase what you wrote.

A comparator will be used to compare voltage A (yet to be determined reference) with voltage B.
When voltage B exceeds voltage A, a 555 circuit will cause an LED to flash at a certain rate (yet to be determined).

You can connect the output of the comparator to the RESET input (pin 4) of the 555 timer with a pull-up resistor of about 1k to 10kΩ.

Interchange the inputs of the comparator until you get the desired result.
alot has yet to be determined.

the end goal is to build a circuit breaker

the components i want involved are
comparator(LM393)
555 timer to generate the square wave for the mosfet
the mosfet
the load would be the LED connected to some resistance preferably 2.2kohm

the reference for the comparator would be the voltage at the drain of the mosfet