connecting a 3 prong 240v dryer outlet to 240v pool pump motor

Alex Abuin

Joined Apr 25, 2018
Hi,

I would like to connect a 240 v pool pump (picture below) to an old-style 3 prong L-shaped dryer plug in my garage. My understanding is that the 3rd (non-hot) wire from the 3 prong outlet "shares" the ground and neutral. Would this 3rd wire be connected to the pool motor where the "ground" is shown in the diagram?

thanks in advance!

Alex

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Check the termination in your panel, it would be easy to transfer the N over to the Earth bar, confirm the three conductor connection.
You don't need the N, in any case N & E are connected to each other in the panel.
You could also convert to a 30a 240v 2-pin and GND socket.
With a pool motor you should fit a earth leakage trip breaker.
Max.

Last edited:

Alex Abuin

Joined Apr 25, 2018
Thanks! to be clear, does the N at the panel need to be transferred over to the earth bar, or can i just simply leave it like it is and hook up the N to the green ground screw on the motor? I rather not mess with the panel... thanks again

one last thing, what gauge wire for the motor? it's 10.4 amps. Would you do 10 to be safe, or 12 (even 14) plenty? Do you normally 'overwire"?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For 10amps #14 should be OK.
You need to fit a GFI/ELT/RCD breaker in the panel according to code.
The Breaker will have a earth wire on it.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Check out some of the Utube videos on connecting hot tub breaker etc, they will show the panel wiring details, there is a white wire that goes to the neutral bar from the breaker, don't forget the use the test P.B. after fitting it.
Max.