Connecting 2 external play buttons to an mp3 player

MikeCam

Joined Sep 2, 2009
I took an mp3 player apart and need to connect TWO switches to the play button that will both trigger the same song to play. I have purchased some things and need to know if they will work.

I have purchased:
Hookup wire: 22-gauge solid wire. Rated 300V, 176°F(80°C)
Pushbutton Switch: SPST Momentary rated 3A at 125VAC 1.5A at 250VAC

I purchased speakers that run off of 2 AA batteries and just plug straight into the mp3 player. I also decided to stick with the battery on the mp3.

Will I need anything else in order to make the switches play a song when pressed?

How do I connect the switchs to the controller? The play button is the top button in this picture.

Momentary Switch (x2)

When everything is connected the mp3 player will go in this case with the speakers on it. Hopefully this will protect everything under my table.

I have no experience when it comes to this stuff, so any information will help.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
You must have good soldering skills to solder a thing like that without damaging it. The switch you are talking about on the player is a bubble switch. It will have no exterior contacts for you to solder on compared to normal micro switch in DVD players. If you solder onto it, the strip will melt and ruin what you have now. Replacement might not even be available. If you are good, try to trace the wire on the PCB solder joint, but that too would be SMD type micro solder joints. I suggest you to drop the plan, unless you are pretty sure you can do it.

Also when making tiny connections, a 22SWG wire will never help. You will need something tinier like a 33 gauge or higher.

MikeCam

Joined Sep 2, 2009
Alright thanks for the info, sorry I took so long to reply.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something I can store one song on and solder two play buttons to?