Connecting 2 circuits to one battery

Lamondin

Joined Jul 25, 2013
I am trying to connect 8 L.E.D's to a car battery but instead of running a wire around the whole car I want to run 4 down one side of the car and 4 down the other side. When i splice the 2 circuits together to the battery will the amps and everything change? Like split in half? Would the circuit become parallel? I have attatched a very breif drawing to illistrate what it is I want to do.

Led.JPG

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You now have 2 series circuits in parallel which is not a problem.

And you are going to use current limiting resistors or other device to "feed" the LED's with the proper current right?

Lamondin

Joined Jul 25, 2013
Yea i knew this was possible but I wanted to know how. I am going to use the resistors but In order to know what size of resistor I need to know what happens to the current when it will be spliced. The current will just split in half correct? The voltage will stay the same? until it hits the l.e.d of course and drop?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The current will just split in half correct?
no not really/necessarily.. "YOU" set the current per string based on the resistor chosen.

You can basically think of them as 2 independent circuits. 1 string will have no effect on the other. Just like plugging 2 appliances into an outlet..