Connecting 12v linear actuator to 90-250v sonoff dual channel WiFi switch

Jbow

Joined Mar 20, 2018
I’m trying to wire a 2 gang WiFi switch to a mini linear actuator. What’s throwing me off is the input voltage for the actuator is 12v and the switch input voltage is 90-250v. Also there are only two wires for actuator. Can someone help me out with wiring this?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I’m trying to wire a 2 gang WiFi switch to a mini linear actuator. What’s throwing me off is the input voltage for the actuator is 12v and the switch input voltage is 90-250v. Also there are only two wires for actuator. Can someone help me out with wiring this?
Probably, if the switch input voltage is 90-250 volts, then so is the output voltage. You did not mention if the linear actuator needs to reverse or not, nor if it requires DC voltage or not. THAT information is really quite important. So don't connect the actuator yet or there will be damage done!
My guess is that the actuator requires DC and that the switch delivers AC. That means that you need some circuit between them.

Jbow

Joined Mar 20, 2018
Yeah sorry guys, here’s all the info. Also it may help knowing that I’m using it to open and close my aquarium canopy. I’m currently using just a generic wireless switch to control the actuator.

C5B89231-3B30-4A9E-AFCA-44D45B5EDCE4.jpeg
479140F1-9F00-4FE0-BEF4-D44069F10237.jpeg
EECFE075-B056-43E0-8176-433CEBD4448E.jpeg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My guess is the SONOFF will output whatever the mains voltage is and should that be true you need to get from your mains AC voltage to 12 VDC for your linear actuator. While the linear actuator does not mention load current draw they do give No Load as < 1.0 Amp. I would guess a 12 Volt wall wart capable of 3 Amps to be more than adequate. The next problem is does the actuator have any built in limit switches? Problem being when you tell it to open or close it needs to stop when it reaches an open or close limit. I am also guessing the linear actuator uses polarity reversal to extend or retract?

Ron

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A possibility: Connect a AC to 12V DC adapter to line. Switched line to continuous duty AC relay, DPDT contacts. Wire 12 V DC thru cross connected relay contacts to actuator.Linear Actuator 6 00000.jpg Similar to drawing except relay coil is only connected a SW & neutral or both SW's

John12782

Joined Aug 14, 2019
Using a Itead WiFi 12v switch you can add a series of relays to create reverse polarity. You will need two WiFi switches and four relays.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is not reasonable that you would need more than two relays, unless the only selection was single pole normally open relays.
But now a question about that WiFi switch: what sort of output does it provide? 2 sets of normally open contacts that could be operated independently would work very well, but two mains-voltage non-isolated outputs could also serve quite well. Then 2 relays wired to provide opposite polarities to the actuator would work well. BUT there will need to be some sort of interlock to prevent both directions from being selected at the same time. The posted view if the WiFi device gives no hint about the actual contact arrangement. This means that most of the suggestions are best guesses, based on???