confusion about ground reference

grudd

Joined Jun 26, 2014
Hi everyone,

Im new here, trying to teach myself about electronics using this website, "Practical electronics for Inventors", and what I remember from the physics classes I took back in college!

My question has to do with relative ground points on schematics and combining batteries. I have attached a crude drawing of part of the example from the book I am having trouble understanding.

I understand that points B and D are our reference, so our point voltage there is 0v. Point A has a voltage of 12V, and point C has a voltage of 9V. So, Vab=12V and Vcd=9V.

What I am having trouble grasping is what the process of finding the voltage from point A to C, or any other voltages where we have to find it across the two schematics. Could someone please enlighten me as to the process one would use in determining these voltages?

Thanks!

Attachments

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
You aren't really going "across" two schematics.

Connect points B and D together (with a thick dark line if necessary) and that should make things clearer?

grudd

Joined Jun 26, 2014
That does clear things up a bit. Im still a little confused on finding the voltage on the open side of the circuit (between points A and C). I understand in this problem, the current is moving in contrary motion, so the resulting voltage between the points is 3V. what trips me up is the next section, where the ground reference is changed to point C. I redrew the schematic to a more rectangular form.

I am thinking because the current is now moving in the same direction, the resulting voltage between points A and D (again, the "open" side of the circuit) would be 21V, but the answer in the book is -21V. Am i missing a sign convention here?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In measuring the points A & D which are essentially two supplies in series when measured at these points, it depends on which side you use as reference, it will be 21 or -21 depending on the reference point.
Max.

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
The Book ask about voltage between point A and C.
Va voltage is reference to ground is equal to Va - Vb = 12V - 0V = 12V.
Vc voltage is also measure in reference to ground. So Vc = Vc - Vd = 9V - 0V = 9V.
And from this we can find Vac = 12V - 9V = 3V or Vca = 9V - 12V = -3V.
But if we change the reference point from D to C. We have this situation.
Vd = Vd - Vc = -9V - 0V = -9V and now Vad = Va - Vd = 12V - (-9V) = 21V.
But maybe the book ask you to find Vda voltage.
Vda = Vd - Va = -9V - 12V = -21V

Attachments

grudd

Joined Jun 26, 2014
great! all of that helps make it much clearer in my mind. Jony, I think the book made an error with the sign because the answer is reported as Vad, not Vda. The math tells us the voltage should be positive, but the given answer is negative, hence my confusion.

Thanks for all your help, ill probably be back with more very basic questions!