Condenser mic question

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
How does the DC voltage travel when using a condenser mic? I know pin 2 & 3 carry the power and pin 1 returns it, but are pin 2 & 3 positive voltage ??

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The terminology is tip, ring, and sleeve. I believe the sleeve (pin 1) is always circuit common. That is both the shield and ground reference.

The ring (pin 3) is +5 volts. That places a charge on one side of the condenser element, which is basically a capacitor with a fixed plate (getting the +5) and a flexible plate that responds to the sound.

the tip (pin 2) is for the signal. When the flexible capacitor plate moves under the influence of sound, the capacitance changes, and that causes charge to be driven off and onto the flexible plate. This becomes a varying voltage when developed over a resistor in the preamp.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An old fashioned condenser mic is powered from 48V, not 5V. A new electret mic is wrongly called a condenser mic and it uses 0.5mA, not 5V.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
When using electret mic at different supply voltages, does this means the loading resistor value should be = 1/2 [ Vcc / 0.5mA ] or just Vcc/0.5mA?
Most electret mics are spec'd with a current of 0.5mA. For a 2-wires electret mic the supply resistor/load resistor is at the drain of an internal JFET so the gain is affected a little by the value of the resistor.

With a low supply voltage is is best to use a higher resistor value than is calculated so that the current is less than 0.5mA and the mic is not loaded down too much.

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Isn't it pin 1 for return??? That's where I'm a bit confused The way I understand it is pin 2 & 3 carry power to the load and returns trough pin 1 to complete the cycle!! Am I way off???