Computer Replacement

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Avast provides anti-virus program that still supports Windows 2000.

My advice. Get good anti-virus program and leave bad advice with people who don't know jack.
Pretty sure your comment was pointed at my post. So how long have you been writing Windows software, supporting Windows users in small business and maintaining you own internal network? I’ve been doing it for over 20 years.[SIZE=+0] [/SIZE]

I stated what works for me, if you don’t trust your actions then depending on an AV program is the right thing for you to do. They can’t get to your computer or network without you doing or not doing something to let them in.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Pretty sure your comment was pointed at my post. So how long have you been writing Windows software, supporting Windows users in small business and maintaining you own internal network? I’ve been doing it for over 20 years.[SIZE=+0] [/SIZE]

I stated what works for me, if you don’t trust your actions then depending on an AV program is the right thing for you to do. They can’t get to your computer or network without you doing or not doing something to let them in.
I quoted the post to which I meant to reply. Your post WAS NOT quoted. Get it?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
My advice. Get good anti-virus program and leave bad advice with people who don't know jack.
No antivirus can protect you against vulnerabilities in the windows kernel and other core systems of windows. That is because the OS sits a layer above the antivirus, so if the kernel wants to it can very easily circumvement the antivirus and do as it pleases.

That is why the lack of security updates is a risk for comupters that don´t run inside closed networks and without i/o relation with users. Once someone finds how to exploit a vulnerability there is usually little you can do apart from isolating the computer or getting an update that fixes it.

So an ATM running an outdated OS that only allows you to type some numbers on a keypad and insert a credit card is much much safer than an office pc running the same OS, but with all the access to internet and BFUs operating it.

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
Unfortunately, I would think that anti-virus companies would forget about XP also, if it's being phased out. From what I hear Windows 7 is better than 8 at least for now - I may go with that. It's hard to decide, I'm just looking for a concensus on what's being used and people are happy with now.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Unfortunately, I would think that anti-virus companies would forget about XP also, if it's being phased out. From what I hear Windows 7 is better than 8 at least for now - I may go with that. It's hard to decide, I'm just looking for a concensus on what's being used and people are happy with now.

I'm a long journey from being a computer expert, but I just bought a brand new Dell Inspiron 660, with 8 G memory and it's pretty fast, considering I only get 6Mb download.

Running Windows 8.1, as of today's update.

Only problem I see, is that 8.1 and Presonis, doesn't support my Firepod digital, audio interface.
Been thinking about an upgrade anyway.
Maybe get this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZLA9VY

Used to have a Dell XPS 400 desktop, and Vista.......then Windows 7.

The Firepod worked great with Vista.:cool:

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
You have to see the logic of it though-It's a lot easier telling her that we have to spend the money for my new desktop because the old one is slow and old and it's OS going obsolete, than it is to say I want a new one because I want the old one to play with and I won't have to worry about making an accidental sound and light show out of it. No?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
You have to see the logic of it though-It's a lot easier telling her that we have to spend the money for my new desktop because the old one is slow and old and it's OS going obsolete, than it is to say I want a new one because I want the old one to play with and I won't have to worry about making an accidental sound and light show out of it. No?
Ah! "Plot thickens!"

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Depending on the specs of the machine currently running XP, you may be able to simply install Windows 7 or Linux (my personal recommendations) on the same one. Did I miss where you told us what the motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc is in your current computer?

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
It's an old single core pentium board. I think it's been outdated for about 5 years. Might as well get a new one. It served it's purpose. I haven't kept up. Nowadays you see the new ones out there and wonder what to get.

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
I do like desktops though, because you fell like you're at the Command Center, like when I'm at my workbench. Not like you're talking to Kirk on your communicator.