computer cluster

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I have a couple old X86 servers. I use the one for a file server, and I was thinking it would be nice to try and somehow add power from second server like a cluster. windows server only has network style clustering, and for what I want I don't think that will work. I want something like they do on supercomputers where distribute processing among nodes. My only guess was either Linux, or HPC server 08 (which I can get through my schools MSDN program.) I realized then that HPC was X64 (which I should have predicted). so this limits me to somehow doing this with windows server X86, or some sort of Linux.
I know most super computers use some special form of unix/Linux, and usually sold through vendor of system. Is there any generic (e.g open suse, etc) that I could use for this. I know some of the supercomputer OS this was a problem and the vendor had to make some sort of clustering daemon it sounded like.

Any ideas on an OS that could do this, and if something can what is the best way to do this?