Compressor electric motor issue

hybrid999

Joined Nov 11, 2009
I will try to give all the info possible.

motor:
5 hp
23 fl amp
208 - 230 V
three "butt" connectors at the motor (red, black and blue)
which one should I use ?

It`s starting up for 3-4 seconds and right after that it trips the 30 amp breaker.
It`s on his own circuit (alone) with 10-2 nmd90 wire(90 feet long) with a 30 amp breaker.

any idea what it could be ? I tried everything...

thanks

hybrid999

Joined Nov 11, 2009
Did you try three-phase power instead ? What does the plate says ?
it says nothing about three phase...

Here is the complete label :
Rich (BB code):
Laplante
compressor duty motor

HP: 5
RPM: 3450
PH: 1     Hz:60
Volt : 208-230
AMB: 40¤C
FR: 56
ENCL: ODP

P/N: 240004
DUTY: CONT.
SF: 1.0
CODE: L
INS. CL.: B
FL AMP: 23-22

C Line1
H line 2
thanks for you help

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
OK. It is not a three phase motor. Same type of motor and rpm I had in my diving compressor... Check if one of the 3 leads has continuity to its case.

Does it have a ~6" x ~5" x ~3" metal housing attached to it, where the connections enter ? -Like this : http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=1
Is there capacitors wired in it ? Perhaps there is a wiring instructions label under that cover ? Did it run before as is or you just got it like that?

I would say the 220VAC power should be connected to the two wires that are not body ground. "Should" be red and black. Cannot find much about that motor on the web. :(

Ask their technical support:
technical@laplantecompressor.com

Last edited:

hybrid999

Joined Nov 11, 2009
Does it have a ~6" x ~5" x ~3" metal housing attached to it, where the connections enter ? -Like this : http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=1
Is there capacitors wired in it ? Perhaps there is a wiring instructions label under that cover ? Did it run before as is or you just got it like that?
the wiring compartment is built-in the motor ... no housing
the capacitors are on top like the one in the link. But no wiring diagram
I would say the 220VAC power should be connected to the two wires that are not body ground. "Should" be red and black. Cannot find much about that motor on the web. :(

Ask their technical support:
technical@laplantecompressor.com
I e-mailed them and it came back saying the address wasn't valid.
I went back to the store and they ordered a new motor for me (just bought that compressor brand new)

Will keep you posted on what happens with the new motor...

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
typically, your start winding is T5(black) to T8(red). Your run winding single voltage is T1(blue) to T4(yellow). In your case, the T4 may be internally connected to the start winding, allowing you to reconfigure the provided leads for forward/reverse.

Your best tool is a clamp on ammeter to measure how close you are to FLA.