Component Identification

Billy4184

Joined Jun 20, 2014
Sure picked a hard one, I'm betting it is Hua Ko Electronics but they don't even seem to have a website. Maybe 16k 686Mhz ram or something? Sorry, I don't have anything else.

Edit: Looks like the experts are in agreement

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Are you trying to do Mac motherboard repair? Good luck. They look far too complex for working on without a high level of experience and the right tools. They're multilayer, for one thing.

dougc314

Joined Dec 20, 2013
Its absolutely a capacitor as previously identified. Also usually when they fail they burn so it looks good. You can get a rudimentary idea if its OK with a DVM. Set for Ohms (resistance), and place the pos lead on the striped end and the neg lead on the other. The meter should read open. It may read a resistance for a small time, but should go open. Many DVMs these days can measure capacitance so if you get your hands on one of those you can test it even better. If you do measure the capacitance don't be alarmed if its 20% off, that's OK.

vaiorefurbs

Joined Jun 20, 2014
Thanks for all your help. The motherboard had suffered liquid damage but other than this component which had corroded and come loose, everything else looks OK. I'm going to replace it and cross my fingers!!