Component Identification

Sam.

Joined Sep 17, 2009
Fairly sure the new fan works fine, the burnt component in my previous post is most likely to be the problem?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Follow the power traces from the fan connectors. Do they connect to the burnt component? You may also be able to use a ohm meter (with the circuit powered down) to see if there is continuity. Like I said, my current thought is it is a fuse. If it is then you can replace it, but be very sure first.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here could help me. The fan in my PS3 has recently stopped working, I think due to being blasted with high pressure compressed air (Not the smartest of things to do). I've opened it up, and found a surface mount component beside the fan connector's 12v that seems like it has blew.
Does anyone know what this component is?
If you typed it I don't see it. You know what continuity is? You also didn't mention if the traces connected (basically the same thing).

OK, I apologize, I see where you said it on post #3. No, piece of wire is bad. You need to use a fuse, if that's what it is. Otherwise you'd have to replace the whole PS3 next time.

Is there any voltage on the fan connector?

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was thinking of measuring it. Back track the traces to find the open. If it stops at that little part it is likely a fuse, if not, then the fuse is somewhere else. Basically use the meter and the eyeball as a troubleshooting aid.

PS3's are pretty expensive. I wouldn't want to make a mistake with one.

Sam.

Joined Sep 17, 2009
It does stop at that component, but earlier posts suggest it is an inductor. Would it be ok to bridge it?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Unless you see traces to it I'm reluctant to advise it. A PS3 is expensive, the course of action you suggest might work, but it could also be the final blowout on this sucker. You do not want to blow the power supply out.

From what little I can see it is a capacitor. A capacitor will block DC, and filter AC out of DC. A coil, to be effective, would have to be larger. You would also see wires, coils by definition have wires though they can be encapsulated.

There are a lot of measurements I would do casually I have to think to mention. For example, you have full voltage across this part? Is one side grounded, or the other side connected to +12VDC perhaps? Is there continouity from the side with no voltage to the fan connector? There just isn't enough information for me to have any opinions. I keep mentioning the traces without getting much in the way of feedback, following traces if it is practical is a major troubleshooting tool.

You need to show the fan and the markings, and it's connector. At this point I don't even know if it is a DC unit.

OK. So lets formalize this.

Does one side of this device definately connect to the +V fan connector?

Does the other side of this device go to the +12V?

Have you firmly established the -V fan connector is ground, and have you verified this?

You need to trace the paths of these power supply leads. There really is no other way.

The parts you show shorted are capacitors, which is not good. You may already have a blown regulator somewhere.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, but how about the traces and continouities?

I will not recommend a course of action that will distroy a piece of electronics without input. We are not communicating well here.

Sam.

Joined Sep 17, 2009
I'm not sure about the traces, but I've posted about continuities in previous posts. If I could find a molex fan controller that would handle 15w, I would just hard wire the fan to a seperate power source.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The problem is I keep asking the same questions and not getting answers. So, one more time...

Refer to post #13. Does one side of that go to the Molex connector +V for the fan?

Is the other side +12 VDC?

Does the negitive side (-V) of the fan go to ground, and you can measure this all over the board?

Sam.

Joined Sep 17, 2009
I'm not sure, as far as I can tell it is inline on the +V for the fan (Not molex..). According to the fan's label, the pin next to + is -.