Component Identification(RAM)

BCMusic

Joined Oct 11, 2009
Ok there are a few components I am having trouble identifying... I am looking at a RAM stick and I see a bunch of "C"s, like C21, C42, and so on... There are also "R"s which I am now certain are resistors... And another one that says "E1". It has 4 (contacts?) on each side and is about 2 mil squared in size. Can you help?

EDIT: And I left out the big one... The big black chips that you can't miss... What are the names of them? I probably know but I am not sure... Memory chips??

Thav

Joined Oct 13, 2009
The Cs are likely ceramic capacitors. Not sure what E could be. Maybe an IC? Does it look like any of these?
http://www.irf.com/package/pkhexfet.html

This page has more links than I could hope to come up with to help you identify components.
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/datacomponent.htm

The big black chips are really the RAM itself, everything else is probably just supervisory or signal conditioning. You may be able to read the part number off of there and find the datasheet. Refer to the second link above, as they have a link to a page with manufacturer logos that can get you to the right website.

BCMusic

Joined Oct 11, 2009
Well, that exact component (E1) is not shown but it looks surprisingly similar... So it's most likely a MOSFET? Wow, some of these components look almost exactly alike, but far from the same... As for the ceramic capacitor, I looked on google images and there were three different looking "ceramic capacitors." One of which looks like the one I'm looking at. However, there are ones that have a "C" beside them that are extremely small, not even a mil. in length and width combined.

Capacitors can come in packages that are very, very small. A common designation for the small size could be 0201 which is 0.6 mm by 0.3 mm. The size is pretty common.

That is pretty small.

BCMusic

Joined Oct 11, 2009
Okay, I think I've found out what this "E1" chip is. According to some long research on google, this chip is a "Voltage Controlled Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator". But this specific chip (with the code "C02D 650") is nowhere to be found online, either because it's been discontinued, or it's a custom chip.

Basically, I am wanting to learn to design RAM. So I figured hey, it's pretty small, looks repetitive and uniform, and it would make a great project (for me at least...)

Last edited: