component identification question

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
According to WIKI the voltage on the telephone line "on-hook" is -50VDC and +90VAC superimposed on that -50V when it's ringing.

90VAC --» 127Vp

That would be 177V maximum voltage between ring and tip. So I would choose a transorb value not less than 200V, e.g. the 1.5KE220CA.

The transorb is always connected to the phone line so it has to support these high voltages. Eventhough I don't know if it would be effective for every imaginable phone line voltage disturbance when S1 is closed (off-hook).

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009
According to WIKI the voltage on the telephone line "on-hook" is -50VDC and +90VAC superimposed on that -50V when it's ringing.

90VAC --» 127Vp

That would be 177V maximum voltage between ring and tip. So I would choose a transorb value not less than 200V, e.g. the 1.5KE220CA.

The transorb is always connected to the phone line so it has to support these high voltages. Eventhough I don't know if it would be effective for every imaginable phone line voltage disturbance when S1 is closed (off-hook).
In the link you posted, what is the difference between "reverse standoff voltage" and "breakdown voltage min/max"? Also how much current is expected in a phone line?