component I.D please?

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
Thankyou Bertus, that now leads me to query #2 which is pin 1 isn't an output for this device according to the pin out on the data sheet?

Neil.

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
i was wondering if it was a pin error on the schematic and wanted confirmation, someone suggested checking the schematic against the PCB layout and sure enough, it shows pin 6 as the output.

thanks guys.

Neil.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
And Pin 1 goes nowhere at all, as DC offset nulling is not required here.

By the look of the guy's haircut though, this circuit must be something like 30 years old. Note the "Ever Ready" PP3 battery.

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
i thought as the circuit was in a magazine it had been checked and/or tested prior to publication, obviously not and it's something i need to take into account on future endeavours.

Yes the circuit is 30 years old appearing in 1981 in everyday electronics or practical electronics i think, i no longer have the original copy though.

Neil.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Why nare you looking at an antique circuit that uses obsolete parts?
The CA3080 IC has not been made for many years (but somebody might have hoarded some).

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
i thought as the circuit was in a magazine it had been checked and/or tested prior to publication, obviously not and it's something i need to take into account on future endeavours.

Yes the circuit is 30 years old appearing in 1981 in everyday electronics or practical electronics i think, i no longer have the original copy though.

Neil.
The circuit certainly did function, to the extent that such a primitive analogue device could. I think there was a kit made for it (by Maplin?) back in the day. Finished versions of it have been known to turn up on Ebay etc. http://b.matrixsynth.com/2008/08/e-syntom-anlog-synth-tom.html

Whether you can ever completely trust the details of schematics published in magazines or on the internet is another matter.
Checking IC pin-outs against manufacturers' datasheets is not a bad idea.

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
Why nare you looking at an antique circuit that uses obsolete parts?
The CA3080 IC has not been made for many years (but somebody might have hoarded some).
I ordered 3 ca3080's when i ordered the LM3900's that now i'm not going to use co's the filters are crap lol

I remembered the Syntom circuit as it was one i wanted to build 30 years ago and never got around to it, just for sentimental reasons i want to build it, maybe along with the other Syn*** circuits down the road.

edit: oh and co's i can't find any modern equivalent circuits to try ;-)

Neil.

Last edited:

jameschristian

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I found this a few months ago, and thought it might interest you:
http://www.megadrum.info/

Certainly not the same as a trigger, but it's a great interface with a fairly easy build. I am saving up now to build one during the next year, and will post my results once I have something functional.