component emitting alarm audio - which is it !?!

denisb

Joined Mar 19, 2013
Hi
I have a pure sine wave inverter for my car which is emitting a high pitched low voltage alarm, even though the supplied voltage (measured at the board) is >2V higher (12.6V) than the trigger voltage (10.5V). This happens whenever the car's engine is turned off. The unit continues to deliver adequate 240V to plugged appliances.

I would like to simply kill the component emitting the alarm audio, but don't know what it looks like.

Can anyone help me identify it?

Can I do this but keep the circuit board functional?

thanks
denis

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It's ok. This is an inverter that is plugged into the 12V accessories outlet and is not part of the vehicle. My inverter does the same thing too. You can disconnect the buzzer by simply cutting one of the wires to the buzzer.

denisb

Joined Mar 19, 2013
err, yes. thanks for pointing that out. this is not part of a car, it is a stand-alone inverter which happens to draw its power from a car battery, independently of the car's ignition circuit.

denisb

Joined Mar 19, 2013
i stuck some epoxy putty and the hole. but now i've discovered that there's a protection circuit that kicks in some time later which turns the unit off.
disabling that is somewhat beyond my skill level :(