Completed camera timer circuit

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Well, here it is...It works well, and draws 8.3mA (quiescient current) The first stage provides a 1 sec pulse to wake the camera, and start the delay trigger (shuts off Q1) Then there is around a half-second delay before the trigger on U2 gets down to 1/3 vcc and starts the second pulse to trigger the shutter. In the meantime, the JK returns to low (not Q is high) and recharges the RC circuit. There are likely some improvements that can be made, but for now, I'm at my limit of my knowledge. The pulses had to overlap in order to utilize the JK flip-flop and prevent an illegal low on the trigger at U2 after it resets. One of my first lessons here doing this project.:rolleyes:

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I did some experiments with my Pentax DSLR, but I didn't want to apply any voltage directly to the camera. It may well be perfectly safe but I didn't know for sure. I used logic level mosfets with the drains connected directly to the camera and it woke up and triggered fine. It would probably work as well or better with NPN transistors with the collectors connected to the camera.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I should have mentioned I will use infared emitter and detector pairs to isolate the camera(Olympus D-370) voltage from the circuit. From the hack, it looks like they are just extending the pushbutton connections outside the camera. I am going to check the current and voltages on the circuit to make sure the detectors will handle it. Here is one of the sites I got the Idea from. Thanks are due to the people here (And the ebooks Bill) and at Hagshouse as well as the gentleman named "tinhorn" whose circuit idea I modified to my own use.

http://www.easy3dcamo.com/building.html (links bad)
http://www.depreyswildlife.com/Mods/D380/Wire%20Olympus%20D370%20n%20380.pdf

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It's a shame that you don't get remote capability with cameras that don't cost an arm and a leg. For me it's a very important feature, and would probably come in handy for most people. I can't imagine it costs more than a few pence to add.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
mbohuntr, sounds like your building your own scout camera, and by your handle I assume your into hunting.

I've built a couple of scouting units myself to watch the mulie herds looking to pattern one particular buck. I shoot bow and with rifle season approaching, time is running out as he won't come out of the preserve after this weekend.

This fellow came out about 5 years ago. My first camera wasn't useful for patterning, but it alerted me that he was in the area.
http://www.sunlesssystems.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=0

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Nice!!! You ought to be ready for snow up there... We are getting sleet and lake effect rain showers. A prelude to the DEEP stuff. I will quit hunting for the year when the snow starts. I can't stand the cold anymore. I know everyone is using picaxe for the cameras, I just had to do one the hard way...

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
We've had a few flurries but generally above the norm. 2-3 week of Nov is Whitetail rut and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Some years around 0c, others -10 to -20c. Heading out next weekend for a good o'l Canada goose shoot. Good luck with your season.