Complete beginner- Remote control slow rotating device help

Fairgroundfables

Joined May 18, 2014
Good morning folks

I have no experience, and thus, no knowledge of the terminology required to accurately discuss what I need help with, so please bare with me. Here goes...

At present, I make illuminated sculptures. I would like to make elements of these sculptures, slowly rotate, using a remote control. Something to bare in mind is that, at times, I may be limited on space to hide the mechanical components.

In layman's terms. please could someone advise the components I would require to buy, for me to be able to create this mechanical setup? Advise the best place for me to buy what I would require ( bare in mind I'm based in the Uk) and advise what instructions I require to wire up the mechanics?

To get a feel for the sculptures I would like to subtly, remote control, you can check out my existing, non mechanical pieces at www.fairgroundfables.com. I particularly want to rotate the heads of my sculptures.

Your help is very much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What weight of objects? Do you just want stop/start at a fixed rpm?
By 'Heads of sculptures' I assume you can insert something into the body of the sculpture?
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The mechanism used to adjust an automotive side mirror comes to mind. An ordinary 12V DC motor geared down (screw gear, I think) to give a nice slow movement of the mirror. I think I'd put the motor in the lower section of the statue and use a shaft up the neck to turn the head. Then all you'd need is a radio-control type controller to control the 12V motor, like a hobby or toy.