Compare and contrast AC and DC circuits

bboi

Joined Apr 21, 2008
well, i was going thru past exam papers for engineering studies and this Q came up and i was wondering what the rite way to answer it would be and what the answer actually was..

the questions is:

AC and DC circuits are often used in household appliances.

Compare and Contrast AC and DC circuits, and give an example of the application of each in household appliances.

thanks for help. :D

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
An example of AC circuits would be your lighting ring-main. An example of DC circuits would be (parts of) the microelectronic circuits that make up the gadgets in your house. Considering these examples can you extrapolate the application-types in which you would use AC and DC circuits.

Dave

bboi

Joined Apr 21, 2008
thanks dave, yes i can extrapolate the application-types in which AC and DC circuits are used. i went thru the site and could not find much or the AC/DC circuits themselves, can you please explain them in breif - (like so i can answer the Q).

thanks in advance.
bboi.

bboi

Joined Apr 21, 2008
alight thanks im reading thru it nw, if i gt stuck ill ask u for help. thanks a lot dave. i was also wondering if u would know, where i could get hold of some info on AC/DC motors too (like an example of them and like features etc.)

thanks in advance.
bboi.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Our very own e-book of course:

AC Motor - the chapter is primarily focused on AC Motors, but it is discussed along side DC Motors as well.

If you search the main site, the search results will also turn up several useful results from the forums.

Dave