community project help

Shahaf

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Hello everyone,
I'm doing a project for a local library. they open a room for people who suffer from ADHD.
I want to make an electrical circuit with input and output for 5 sets of headphones and speakers. Everyone can hear and speak to each other and each can control the volume of his headphones.
The idea behind the circuit is to help children break away from the noise of the environment while they talk with the teacher (because of it they need five speakers).
I would be very happy if someone has a blueprint that can help me put together the system

Shahaf

Joined Feb 22, 2014
the idea is to use a simple system that does not cost a lot of money.the children will receive headphones with microphones in the library.

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello everyone,
I'm doing a project for a local library. they open a room for people who suffer from ADHD.
I want to make an electrical circuit with input and output for 5 sets of headphones and speakers. Everyone can hear and speak to each other and each can control the volume of his headphones.
The idea behind the circuit is to help children break away from the noise of the environment while they talk with the teacher (because of it they need five speakers).
I would be very happy if someone has a blueprint that can help me put together the system
I 'm not sure exactly what you want. Do you want all the earphones to be connected to the same source?, In other words if one person is speaking the sound goes to each set of headphones.
Is there a group microphone, or does each person have a microphone?

Shahaf

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Each person have a microphone (a set of headphone and speaker) and if one person is speaking all will hear him in their headphones.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If the aim is to overcome environmental noise you will probably need directional or acoustically-screened microphones, because the mics will be effectively in parallel and hence will pick up 5 times the noise that 1 would.
Your library must be different from a typical UK one, where talking is actively discouraged :).

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Gamers do this all the time - each having a headset with headphones and mic, and all connected "live" to each other.

Now, in that scenario each user has a computer sitting in front of them. That wouldn't be cheap. But I'm pretty sure the same thing could be accomplished with a single computer. You'll still need a "hub" where all the headsets will be plugged in. I believe the computer could then handle all the mic gain and headphone volume adjustments.

Or, a traditional sound mixing board could handle this as well. Like what every garage band uses.

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
There are so many variables that I don't know, so it is hard to help. If all the individuals were sitting at a common table it is possible to create something using the combination microphone as shown in the attached file.
A small box with an internal mixer and 5 amplifiers with individual volume controls could easily be constructed.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, it's hard to guess what the requirements are. Why isn't a quiet room with 5 children and one teacher an option? Do you want to prevent the children from hearing anything except the teacher, ie. you don't want them to hear the other 4 kids? Is wireless a requirement?

Shahaf

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Actually it is a separate room but a ventilation system makes a lot of noise that is the problem.
this is a small library and usually noise is less welcome :)

Shahaf

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Yes, it's hard to guess what the requirements are. Why isn't a quiet room with 5 children and one teacher an option? Do you want to prevent the children from hearing anything except the teacher, ie. you don't want them to hear the other 4 kids? Is wireless a requirement?
wireless is not a requirement and all children should be able to hear each other more or less like chats in computer games.