Combining power source from 3-4 dynamos and outputting to several motors (with a capacitor too?)

CryptoRaptor

Joined Nov 11, 2020
Greetings :)

I'm tinkering with dynamos and windmills etc and have several dynamos at varying distances from each other.

If possible I'd like to 'combine' (?) the power from the dynamos to power other motors.

Is there a way to link the dynamos so that the power producing ones don't accept power from the others?

Hope that makes sense! :D

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I assume that the dynamos produce DC power not AC power?
If you connect them all directly together then the one with the most wind and voltage will cause the ones with the least voltage to turn and make wind, wasting a lot of power.

Separate them with a diode in series with each one. The diode will reduce the voltage from each dynamo by 0.7V but if the voltage from each dynamo is the same then all add to the total power.

CryptoRaptor

Joined Nov 11, 2020
I assume that the dynamos produce DC power not AC power?
If you connect them all directly together then the one with the most wind and voltage will cause the ones with the least voltage to turn and make wind, wasting a lot of power.

Separate them with a diode in series with each one. The diode will reduce the voltage from each dynamo by 0.7V but if the voltage from each dynamo is the same then all add to the total power.
Yes I tried just linking them and it didn't work hehe.

4 dynamos with 2x powering 1 motor and 2x powering another motor.

What if the voltages vary slightly e.g. 1 running at 6v and 1 running at 3v?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A dynamo will probably become a motor if it is powered by another dynamo. Then a dynamo that is producing 6V will cause a dynamo that produces only 3V to spin a little faster, wasting some power. The 6V dynamo will slow down and the 3V dynamo will speed up.

CryptoRaptor

Joined Nov 11, 2020
Yeah that's what happened it just influenced the next dynamo on the chain. Ultra beginner here :S

So assuming my wind dynamos are potatoes, is this how the diodes would work?

Super mega thanks for help by the way!

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 17.10.37.png

CryptoRaptor

Joined Nov 11, 2020
Also I noticed that when the wind potatos aren't running at full speed but still spinning nicely it's not enough to power the DC motor. Would putting a capacitor in there harness more of the low running power periods?

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Your diodes are in the wrong place. Put the anode of a diode on each of the wind potato positive wires. Connect the cathodes together and connect to the motor. The negatives of the wind potatoes can be connected together and to the motor without diodes. As drawn, the potato with the higher voltage will try to charge the potato with the lower voltage. Not good!

CryptoRaptor

Joined Nov 11, 2020
Sounds a bit odd I know :S

There was no dynamo symbol on tinkercad and I feel like a potato right now so seemed fitting. It doesn't use potatoes just yet but anything is possible.

Went a little crazy this year but fortunately the result is Project Wind Potato - a clean energy battery with no toxic by-product/waste/fumes etc. Pretty ninja if I don't say so myself :D

Designed, built, tested and working but seems I can dynamo up some more Wind Potato magic and increase the total output.

3D printing everything so it's blueprinted for relatively imminent rollout - 100% OPEN SOURCE of course peeps and will give credits for your help - thanks!

Another cheeky question please... I've amassed a load of dynamos with worm gears and varying RPM/output stats in the descriptions e.g. some said worm gear 20/60/100/200 vs worm gear at 200 rpm (not buying option related). Does this mean I can use a mystical device to set the dynamo at 60 rpm rather than 200 rpm via increasing the resistance or something, so that I only need 60 rotations with increased resistance to achieve the same output as 100 rotations with less resistance?

Please forgive my awful grasp of terminology I have almost zero electrical knowledge so really appreciate your help :D

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
On another forum there was a kid who rides his bicycle in the dark every night because he did not want to carry a heavy battery or get tired to drive a dynamo for powering lights. So he had the brilliant idea to make a wind project so that wind spins a windmill making free electricity.

He put two computer fans on his bicycle and when he pedaled fast the fans spinned and made electricity. But only barely enough to dimly light one little LED. He tried a huge fan driving a dynamo and realized that it takes a lot of effort to pedal the bicycle to spin the fan and dynamo.

You need to realize that an electrical circuit has losses. To see the losses then use two identical motors and connect them together.
Spin one motor and see the other motor turn. But it takes some work to spin the generator motor nut the load motor is doing no work and spins much slower.