Colpitts oscillator !!! frequency mistake ?

majd-ghadab

Joined Dec 25, 2012
Hello everyone I have faced very strange thing that calpp oscillator (Colpitts oscillator) have different frequency from formulas and big different !
I have used 100uH inductor which I measured its value 100% with inductance meter (and I bought it not made it)
Any way the idea is I always got a frequency about 2.6 MHz and smaller depending on capacitors values , with tow 39pF capacitors and 100uH inductor I must get around 3.6 MHz but I get 2.6 MHz with any capacitors values even with 2pF in other words I have removed the tow capacitors from the oscillator and the circuit still oscillating with 2.6 MHz !!!!!!!!
I can get higher frequency with different inductor only !
You can see real pictures circuit with oscilloscope and the simulated on multisim witch its results is very close to theoretical formulas.

Attachments

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
I haven't looked at your schematic, but my opinion is that the circuit is oscillating on a stray feedback path rather than the feedback path you intended.

w2aew

Joined Jan 3, 2012
That inductor looks like a RF choke, and thus probably has a fair amount of parasitic parallel capacitance on its own, and is probably the main cause of the frequency shift. Also, I don't think you need the 2.2nF cap in series with the inductor - short it out.

majd-ghadab

Joined Dec 25, 2012
w2aew you are right i have not seen such thing named "parasitic parallel capacitance" i have changed the inductor type and the frequency is changing like magic so it must be the reason
i must read more ,by the way i was broken cause i have completely lost a day without find out what is the problem and now i will go to sleep with full comfort
thank you 1