Code for led matrix

Aklem

Joined Jun 18, 2009
Wow thats deep... But i want a code example not a post that tells me the concept. I know you use arrys but i want to see the code

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
What code? It's dependent on the array, the interfacing, and the outputting device - not to mention the language used. All these are mysteries at this point.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I matrix the data using one byte to hold 7bits for the vertical 7 pixels on the 5x7 displays.
Then scrolling left is performed by moving all the bytes left one space.

So if you have a 5 digit 5x7 display it needs 25 bytes to hold the display data.

I "define letters" using a lookup table, and write the letter to a "scratchpad" of 5 bytes which is not visible but is basically just the same as the other 25 bytes.

Then the new letter is automatically shifted onto the visible display the next time it is shifted left one pixel.

Hope that helps, it's a start. If anyone has a better system maybe they can mention it?

Aklem

Joined Jun 18, 2009
I get the first part of your post, to answer your questions:
im using a arduino
using the arduino ide
using a 8x8 led matrix display

i need to have the above post clarified to fit this description, more easy to understand.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Charlieplexing is very different to multiplexing. Multiplexing has only 2 dimensions and usually one is the "common" and the other is the "bits". Charlieplexing only lights one pixel at a time and has an unknown number of dimensions based on the number of pins in the charlieplexed mesh.

Aklem, I know there are lots of Arduino examples out there on the internet doing multiplexing, i'm not sure about 8x8 displays but you can easily find 5x7 display projects.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If you know the technique the code is easy.

It sounds like you just wanted someone else to do all the work for you because you are lazy. Or maybe you can post your code so we see how you did it and we can see that you are not lazy?

Aklem

Joined Jun 18, 2009
Im not lazy i just am new to arrays (bit of a noob)
im 13 and have no time to learn this fully!
Im doing a project tbat i will have to save up for months and now im going to use a serial display.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Talkin bout code not hardware, im going to use 4 74hc595's which only needs 4 or 3 pins

I use a Pic16F84 and 2 4017 Johnson counters to control an 8x20 LED matrix scrolling display...... using only 9 pins total from the uc :rolleyes:.