CMOS LD Flyback LED Flasher

joeward

Joined Dec 16, 2011
:confused: Successfully built your other LD flashers but having trouble with the "Flyback". Tried a homemade Inductor per instructions then tried a Murata 220μH 0.83ohm inductor. Neither work. Believe my problem is the inductor. Any alternatives?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Feedback and Suggestions Forum for providing feedback and suggestions about All About Circuits, including corrections to the e-book. This forum is not for getting help with technical questions.
This was neither feedback nor a suggestion, so I have moved it to a more appropriate forum.

You talk like this was an ongoing post, yet it is your 1st.

Welcome to AAC!

You will find the more information you give the better responses you get.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, it occurred to me what you are talking about, in part. It is my long duration 555 flasher series I wrote for the book as experiments. So the next question is, did you wire it according to the protoboard picture.

It is possible I have an error there, but I don't think so. I documented the experiment pretty carefully. I'll go take another look at it just in case.

For those who are curious, the OP is talking this experiment...

The 555 Projects

CMOS 555 Long Duration LED Flyback Flasher

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, the protoboard drawing is correct as far as I can tell. If you take a picture of your work and post it we can eye ball it and see if there are any errors on your end.

Did you wind an inductor by hand? I used both, there is an error in my article in that the hand wound inductor is extremely large, much larger than stated. I've since bought an LC meter. I also used commercial off the shelf chokes (shown in the picture) which worked well too.