CMOS homework.. Help!

latvian

Joined Sep 19, 2010

Hello everyone,
I have this question in my homework that I am having problem solving it. The question is a CMOS network of gates that I must give the truth table of it and to choose the type of the network.

The choices for the y are: 0, 1, z

The choices for the type of network is: tri-state inverter, tri-state buffer, AND network, OR network, NAND, NOR, XOR, XNOR.

The question is attached with this question as a screen shot image...

Please help!

Thanks in advance​

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The rules of the forum rule! (That's why they are called so, pun intended). So post your efforts on the exercise, your thoughts and dead-ends, and we 'll pick it from there.

latvian

Joined Sep 19, 2010
That's fair...
Well, I am thinking that this is a tri-state inverter. I know that in a tri-state buffer there is a controlling signal and when that controlling signal is 0 the outgoing signal (f) would be a high z and then the outgoing signal would follow the other ingoing singal!
In other words let's call the controlling signal a, then the truth table would be like this:

a b f
0 0 z
0 1 z
1 0 0
1 1 1

But this is for a tri state buffer... I am confused about the tri-state inverter and how would the truth table would look like!

Thanks

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The way I see it, for {a,b}={1,0}, f=1, and for {a,b}={0,1}, f=0. A double-check is advised. That said, the network works as a tri-state inverter, with A being the control signal, and B being the data signal.