CMOS blew

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
No kiddin!

I was going thru my junk and I happen to find an LCD with a couple of 7 seg digits. it has 74HC's all thru out. I just thought I could use the LCD in a project with numeric digits.

As I happen to have a 12V battery near by, I just jumped the supply cap...with some wires which also was near by..:cool:

The LCD lit to my surprise with 8's or 0's :D , I'm not sure and then bang ! :eek:. A shrapnel hit my face....so I searched and found it to 74HC393.

I had been coned..I always thought the HC series can handle more than 12V

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Ah... the golden rule in electronics. NEVER EVER assume. The moment you assume. The probability of being wrong is 99.99%

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have had finger brands of parts manufacturers in mirror image, thought fortunately they healed over time. I have also destroyed protoboards (multiple), with great big melted spots where the parts used to be. I have turned capacitors into foil popcorn. I have left craters in chips where silicon used to be.

In other words, this is normal.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Congratulations R!f@@. You are now the 10th member of the prestigious group who have posted 5K or more and fewer than 10K posts.