cmd command

m4lyg0s

Joined Apr 17, 2014
hello people i have some problems with my pc (windoes 8 single language 64 bits)

a carpet in my documents is in read only

well i went to cmd and type

attrib -r C:\eat /s /d

when i check at my file it is still on read only

i also change register (explorer) and nothing so far...

do you guys know something about this?

m4lyg0s

Joined Apr 17, 2014
no, i cant . that is the easy way and did not work , them went to the cmd exe and it did not work either , was thinking it could be a virus , but man if a virus do that i am pretty sure i will not be able to turn on my pc xd

bertus btw, as i understand the "-" from the "-r" means i am deactivating the read only not resetting it at least that is what it says in the microsoft helping site...

even the link you provided tells the same thing : "For example, to remove the read-only and hidden file attributes for all files in a directory tree:
attrib -r -h *.* /s /d"

but it is not working... :/

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What is the file name of the file you are trying to reset?

As Bertus pointed out, the command you gave will only reset the file "eat" in the root directory - C:\. If "eat" is a folder, it will reset the read only attribute on the folder, but nothing else; it will ignore the /S. You would need to specify additional files using wildcards.

Please clarify as to the file(s) you wish to reset the read only attribute on and perhaps we can clarify further.

BTW, the "attrib" command will not prevent the attribute from getting set again. It will change it only.

m4lyg0s

Joined Apr 17, 2014
for now it is an empty carpet (moved to documents) and about the /s i will add like 3GB of information will be a bit of everything , dll , exe , note etc (and of course i want all information in there to get uncheck in the read only attrib that is why i was testing /s but with no information kinda useless i know XD)

so that is exactly i want for now , change the read only check to uncheck (and it is not happening)