Closed loop motor controller

bia

Joined Sep 26, 2013
Can anyone recommend a closed-loop motor controller/driver (preferably dual channel) that you have successfully used? I need PID control for 2 brushed DC motors in a controller that will handle continuous current of 15+amps. PWM or serial interface. Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Self contained (closed loop) DC brushed drives are becoming very rare now.
By dual channel do you mean dual encoder feed back?
There are a few aimed at the DIY/hobby market, but these are predominately step/dir control, such as Larken Viper Drives.
For PC based control, I personally use Galil Motion controllers together with passive (non PID) torque mode drives made by A-M-C or Aerotech etc.
The PID loop is closed in the Galil control.
You can actually pick up these controller for around $100.00 for the legacy types.
What did you intend interfacing the drives to, or is this for a stand alone application?
Max. .

bia

Joined Sep 26, 2013
Self contained (closed loop) DC brushed drives are becoming very rare now.
By dual channel do you mean dual encoder feed back?
Yes. Dual motor and encoder feedback. I looked at the ones you listed but didn't find anything that would meet my specs. My experience with the hobby market is that none of them are ready for prime time. Do you have experience with viper? I guess they just make servo drives?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Larken have made low end CNC router tables in the past.
I have not used their DC brushed drives as I do not use step/dir type command.
I predominantly use ±10vdc analogue torque mode (trans-conductance) drives.
The reason I use Galil motion cards is because of the interpolated motion capability up to 8 axis, together with the A-M-C drives for both DC brushed and BLDC.
Max.