Clive Sinclair

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I remember the Sinclair computers but never knew he was the creator of the pocket calculator! And still carried his slip-stick!

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Very sad to hear. Sinclair was an original. I have in my collection a Timex/Sinclair 1500. Packaged in an attache case with cassette drive etc. Including a TV adapter. I think it came from some union as a training system. Remember when all the trades like plumbers where going to be made modern? Now we still need plumbers, I should plug it in some day and see if it works. Picture in the case:

E44A8FD0-AAA8-4CFE-BF3B-2A6BD393B2CC.jpeg

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I owe my entire professional life to the Timex Sinclair ZX 81 ... it was my first passion.

I remember I spent two days without sleeping or eating (but the occasional bathroom break) learning how to use that thing ... that was in 1982, and I'm not exaggerating

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Remember when all the trades like plumbers where going to be made modern? Now we still need plumbers,
I think you misunderstood what they meant by a Modernizing a trade. Hint: a trade union would never do something to reduce the size of their membership. "Modernizing" meant (1) fresh apprentices would spend less time as an untrained hazards in a job-site and imore time learning the basics with the help of that thing in your photo. And (2) design calculators, manuals, building codes, and more all on the set of cassette tapes. Weren't the 1980 wonderful?

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Next time I remember something I guess I should check with you. Your pure and correct version shall be adhered to to make sure history remains as you remember it. Amen.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I was very much in the 6502 camp. I was at university just at the time of the big rivalry between Sinclair and Acorn. It even resulted in a punch up between Sinclair and Chris Curry of Acorn, at the Baron of Beef which was just down the street from where I lived.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Next time I remember something I guess I should check with you.
Yes, me, or somebody... anybody?
Your assumption that plumbers will "modernize" themselves out of a job with a computer is pretty funny - especially with there is no plan to get people to stop making bio-waste.