cleaning capguck

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
Some one gave me an old Kenwood KA 36 amp and tape machine yesterday. Plugged in and white noise from speakers. Guessed that filter caps may be problem so had a look inside - sure enough capguck all over board. Whats the advice here - just scrape it away as best as possible or do I need some chemicals?

thanks

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If you're going to ask me to stop by to read your problem, but you already found the answer it would be common courtesy to post that answer along with your "never mind."

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
Sorry, the answer was Isopropyl Alcohol. Only the 99% variety.

There was no advice to use the sharpish screw driver that I ended up using to break up the encrusted lumps. IMO a sharper blade would have been better. However I persevered and won.
At the time of finding the solution I celebrated and quaffed the 91% stuff that was now defunct thanks to AAC; making me eka sano raksi lagyo and forgetting my netiquette. Ma maafi mahanchu.
Seizing the moment I trolled on and fortuitously discovered a thread about dental hygiene, body odour and Mathematics in love (as opposed to in Love with Mathematics-intriquing no?). My only personal addition to the latter discussion is that I never use fluoride toothpaste (free in tap water here), agree on soap. I only wish someone had advised me not to drunkenly vomit on a future wife prospect many many moons ago.

Would you like me to post the links?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
just be sure you have cleaned it all off. I had a kenwood ham radio that had a cap leak, I missed cleaning some under a few parts, and it ate copper off some plated through holes.
by the way, that brownish gunk they put on coils looks like rubber cement, it goes conductive after a while, can make life hard for troubleshooters when a pll stops working.

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
Thanks Alfa I have and some Nichicons are on the way.
Inside this beast is an STK 4151 - I touched the heat paste expecting it to have dried up; now I'm removing that from various places in the house. The jobs list gets ever longer.

My 146 was better than my 156 if that means anything to you.