Classic Computer Error Messages

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Having endured my fair share of crappy feedback from software over the years, I thought it might be funny to have a look at what the best messages I could find on the web, and I came across this site with some classic error messages: http://homepage.mac.com/bradster/iarchitect/errormsg.htm

Some of these are brilliant and well worth 10 minutes of your time (read the accompanying commentary, it adds to the humour!).

Share your classic messages if you have any, if not just enjoy those presented above.

Dave

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
An error message that really kills me is when you have "Halt on all errors" enabled in BIOS, and then boot with no keyboard attached.

"ERROR: Keyboard not found!

Press F1 to continue:"

Right. :rolleyes:
Who got paid for that routine?

Another is Microsoft's BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) - you get a brief message, followed by the contents of all of the registers, and a 2-gig memory dump file. They missed a great opportunity to sell advertising space for breweries, ala:
"Whoops - another crash, but the heck with it, it's Miller Time!"

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
An error message that really kills me is when you have "Halt on all errors" enabled in BIOS, and then boot with no keyboard attached.

"ERROR: Keyboard not found!

Press F1 to continue:"

Right. :rolleyes:
Who got paid for that routine?
Haha, yes a classic! :D

There is a work-round of course. This is one of those built into a non-USB BIOS, i.e. the USB only works when the OS boots. To get around it; unplug your USB keyboard; plug-in a PS/2 keyboard; press F1; unplug your PS/2 keyboard; and re-connect your USB keyboard. Bonza!

The work around is every bit as stupid as the error message!

Dave

1. Error loading operating system
2. c:\windows\config\system 32 not found
3. DISK NOT FOUND PLS INSERT BOOT DISK
4. NTLDR MISSING OR CORRUPT
5. BOOT FROM CD- ROM FAILURE

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I'm told the auld Tandy model 16 (which came with its own desk and an 8" floppy drive) would, if the stack pointers of the Z80 and 6800 didn't match, report the following:

"Halt: Shut her down, Scotty, she's sucking mud"