Class-D Amplification

lofiboy

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Alright so, I mean to begin a discussion over Class-D amps being designated linear or digital. I seem to run into both opinions often, so I want to see your opinions and what the collective knowledge at the forum has to offer as far justification towards either side.

I would personally put them in the linear category.

lofiboy

Joined Dec 26, 2010
While that makes sense from a designer's standpoint, wouldn't you agree that the information is not at all binary?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's pulse width modulation so the 1's and the zero's are not the same width (same time of duration). A binary computer would stall if it saw that so, no, it isn't binary, but it still looks digital to me because it is still made of ones and zeros.

While I'm at it, binary implies groups of 1's and 0's that represent information packets. A class D amplifier does not think about packets (or groups) of 4 or 8 bits that get converted to information. The information is all carried in the width of the pulses. That's another vote for, "not binary".

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
"Analog" and "digital" are generally broad categories to describe gross circuit function. Many circuits jump between categories or blend the two.

Perhaps such amps would best be describe as "digialog." Pronounced dih-ghi-a-log.

It's a semantic difference anyway. The circuit does what it does no matter what you call it.

Ultimately, everything is analog anyway.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
An article and thread I have on the subject.

Pulse Width Modulation

Class D and triangle wave linearity

PWM is definitely digital , but the front end is analog as part of the conversion process. Any non-linearitys here show up later, so it is important to get it right.

The point is, it is a conversion process. PWM is also use for many switching regulators (SMPS), though it is often not discussed as such.

PWM can be stored in binary format. It is done all the time with µC (PICs are a brand). It can be done several different ways and formats, but all of them are binary storage of PWM. I am willing to bet CDs are a form of PWM when it is all said and done.

Their are two reasons PWM works, it is digital (and the two most efficient states for any device is on or off), and it stores an analog number with a high degree of precision in a digital format. Conversion back to analog is fundamentally built into the process.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
While I'm at it, binary implies groups of 1's and 0's that represent information packets. A class D amplifier does not think about packets (or groups) of 4 or 8 bits that get converted to information. The information is all carried in the width of the pulses. That's another vote for, "not binary".
But it can be digital without being binary. ;)

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I think of digital as encoded discrete information, like numbers or letters.
As an extreme example of non-discrete PWM, consider a 2-quadrant multiplier, where one of the inputs is PWM, and the other is the voltage that is being modulated. Is the resulting waveform a digital signal? Certainly the switch(es) is on or off, but does that qualify it as digital?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I think of digital as encoded discrete information, like numbers or letters.
As an extreme example of non-discrete PWM, consider a 2-quadrant multiplier, where one of the inputs is PWM, and the other is the voltage that is being modulated. Is the resulting waveform a digital signal? Certainly the switch(es) is on or off, but does that qualify it as digital?
Well, could you put the data through "digital logic" like AND OR gates etc?

To me "analogue" or "linear" refer to electronics where the voltage varies and that is the data.

If the voltage is in a number of defined states (like in digital logic gates; 0 and 1) and the data is contained in the defined states that is "digital".

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Well, could you put the data through "digital logic" like AND OR gates etc?

To me "analogue" or "linear" refer to electronics where the voltage varies and that is the data.

If the voltage is in a number of defined states (like in digital logic gates; 0 and 1) and the data is contained in the defined states that is "digital".
OK. So where do you put PWM which has a fixed pulse amplitude but the width varies in an analog fashion (no discrete widths)? :confused:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
So if the voltage doesn't vary in a digital circuit then a one and a zero either have no voltage or they have the same voltage, correct?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So if the voltage doesn't vary in a digital circuit then a one and a zero either have no voltage or they have the same voltage, correct?
What do you mean "voltage doesn't vary in a digital circuit"? :confused: A one and a zero always have a different voltage in digital circuits, which is how you differentiate between them, although both may vary in absolute value depending upon the logic family.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What do you mean "voltage doesn't vary in a digital circuit"? :confused: A one and a zero always have a different voltage in digital circuits, which is how you differentiate between them, although both may vary in absolute value depending upon the logic family.
My point exactly.