clamper using opamp

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Hello.

I have a symmetrical triangular wave with specifications mentioned below:

Vpp = 2v
freq = 1000Hz. (voltage swings from +1 to -1)

i need two clamper circuits such that the following requirements should be fulfilled.

1) Vpp = 2V; same freq.; voltage should swing from +2v to 0v

2) Vpp = 2V; same freq; voltage swing range +4v to +2v

I have few 741 opamps and i want to utilize them.

w2aew

Joined Jan 3, 2012
Easy to do with the 741. Power it up with a dual power supply (+/-9, or 12 or 15V). Configure as inverting unity gain (output connected to inverting input via 1K resistor, and 1K resistor from inverting input to your signal. Then, arrange a voltage divider that will apply +1V to the non-inverting input. This will invert the triangle wave (won't matter it is symmetrical), and cause the output to vary between +2V and 0V.

Same circuit as above, but create a voltage divider to apply +1.5V to the non-inverting input. This will cause the output to vary between +4V and +2V.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Easy to do with the 741. Power it up with a dual power supply (+/-9, or 12 or 15V). Configure as inverting unity gain (output connected to inverting input via 1K resistor, and 1K resistor from inverting input to your signal. Then, arrange a voltage divider that will apply +1V to the non-inverting input. This will invert the triangle wave (won't matter it is symmetrical), and cause the output to vary between +2V and 0V.
That will work, IF you make the voltage on the non-inverting input +0.5V.

Same circuit as above, but create a voltage divider to apply +1.5V to the non-inverting input. This will cause the output to vary between +4V and +2V.
If the inversion is not acceptable,there are various ways to do it.

BTW, these are not clampers, they are level shifters.

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008

Thankyou w2aew.
Does this shifter work for any frequency?

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
If the inversion is not acceptable,there are various ways to do it.
Tell me if iam wrong.....

Inversion can be cancelled here by giving the signal to non inverting terminal.

Or

For the same circuit i have to connect a non inverting amp again.
BTW, these are not clampers, they are level shifters.
OK. level shifters. Thankyou RON.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
You can do it with a noninverting circuit, but of course it will be different than that described by w2aew. Or, you can use his circuit (with the change that I mentioned in post #3), but you will have to change the DC offset voltages from positive to negative, and add an inverting unity gain circuit.

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
You can do it with a noninverting circuit, but of course it will be different than that described by w2aew. Or, you can use his circuit (with the change that I mentioned in post #3), but you will have to change the DC offset voltages from positive to negative, and add an inverting unity gain circuit.
Ok. I'll simulate it. I'll be back soon.