Circut kit combination help? im new here...

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
To start, your toggle switch with 3 leads is probably a SPDT switch (single pole double throw). To make your circuit work as you describe, all you need is a SPST switch (single pole single throw)--to use the SPDT switch, connect only 2 fo the 3 leads--the center lead and one of the other leads. Wire both loads in parallel, so they both turn on together.

Joeyvenkman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
Thanks! Just one question- does parallel just mean attaching the positive and negatives of each different circut, or does it mean something else? again, thanks for the help.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
You need to connect the negative leads of each circuit together, and connect the the positive leads of each circuit together. Then connect one of the pairs of leads to the relevant side of the battery - perhaps the negative side would be the most usual.

Assuming that the two positives are left free, take then to one terminal of the switch, and take the other switch terminal to the battery positive.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=421919
You will of course have to check which of the switch terminals will switch on and off for the wanted sense of the toggle position. For the most usual kind SPDT toggle switch, the middle and one of the outer terminals would be used.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Parallel means that you connect both positives together--this goes to the positive battery terminal via the switch. Then connect both negatives together--this goes to the negative battery terminal. The switch is actually in series with the positive battery terminal. There should be a primer somewhere in the forum that describes parallel and series circuits--quite simple--check it out.

Hope all works well for you.

Joeyvenkman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
Thank you all so much! I have yet to receive my 2 kits (and toggle switch) but when i do, ill be sure to report back if i need more help. Thanks again!