Circuit with Multiple Grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ceHacka

Joined Mar 1, 2006
Just like the title says, I have 3 circuits to find values for a homework. It looks easy, but with multiple grounds in the circuit...I don't know how to treat the resistors. Here is a picture of one of the problems. Thanks in advance.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Redraw the circuit then post your redrawing.

on edit:

Redraw starting from the source (5V) and work towards ground. Then analyze the different series/parallel combinations till you get it redrawn down to 5 volts, a single resistor and ground. Then work you way back calculating the voltages and currents at the different points of interest ... a, b, c, d

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by 1ceHacka@Mar 2 2006, 12:17 AM
Just like the title says, I have 3 circuits to find values for a homework. It looks easy, but with multiple grounds in the circuit...I don't know how to treat the resistors. Here is a picture of one of the problems. Thanks in advance.

[post=14526]Quoted post[/post]​
I'd like to point out that each of the "multiple" grounds in the drawing uses the same symbol, an open triangle. To me this means that electrically they are all at the very same potential. So they are not really "multiple" grounds at all, but just multiple instances of the one and only true ground and they are all connected together. If it helps you can redraw the circuit by connecting all the little triangles with a wire. Now the series and parallel topology of the circuit may be clearer.

nanobyte

Joined May 26, 2004
Before you do what JoeJester recommended label all the resistors (i.e. R1, R2,...etc.). This way it will be easier to keep track of the resistors that you are combining in series or in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.