Circuit to play sound then activate another circuit after complete

Mark1015

Joined May 15, 2020
I am fairly new to electronics and designing led effects etc. for hobby projects. What I am attempting is this: press standard switch push button, play a short sound segment (30-45 seconds) then when sound completes turn on some effect lighting until switch is off. Reset of circuit when power is turned off as well. I am not looking to be spoon fed just need some direction. I will most likely have questions. Thanks in advance

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

A microcontroller such as Arduino Uno would probably be the easiest solution. If you can't program, there are some that have a drag and drop programming interface; I've never used any, so can't offer any suggestions.

It could be done with only hardware, but you'd need some device to store your sounds.

Mark1015

Joined May 15, 2020
I was thinking just hardware. Not opposed to programming just more interested in hardware. I know of some chips that store sound. I was thinking sound chip to a 555 timer circuit that operates the led circuit.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The simplest method would be to have either a sensor on the current taken by the sound source, or possibly the voltage of the sound source output, into a "flip-flop" circuit so that with the power on the end of the signal from the sound source would change the state. And then when it was all completed the end signal from the light system switching off would reset everything back to "ready". No processor, no code to write, probably a CMOS logic gate and a flipflop.
Certainly not all of the details but an adequate explanation of the functions and how to get them. No nuts and volts article on how to implement an AND gate with processor board and 50 lines of code.

Mark1015

Joined May 15, 2020
Thanks for the help. I have been doing some looking and may just go the Arduino route. Any simple schematics of the current sensor to flip-flop circuit you mentioned on the net somewhere?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for the help. I have been doing some looking and may just go the Arduino route. Any simple schematics of the current sensor to flip-flop circuit you mentioned on the net somewhere?
Just be aware that you’ll likely be unable to use the sound signal as an input into the Arduino. If you try, you’ll likely end up damaging the Arduino. It can be done, but you’ll need a conditioning circuit between the sound and the Arduino.

Mark1015

Joined May 15, 2020
I may be over thinking this one. Simplest route may be to push switch to start sound sequence, and then have one of the outputs on a count to turn on at a specific time (10 seconds for example) then entire system shuts off at end of sequence. This way other lights, etc can turn on at other time intervals. Thoughts?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I may be over thinking this one. Simplest route may be to push switch to start sound sequence, and then have one of the outputs on a count to turn on at a specific time (10 seconds for example) then entire system shuts off at end of sequence. This way other lights, etc can turn on at other time intervals. Thoughts?
If the times are known and repeatable and if a stable timer is used then that would be the simple way to do it. That would be the simplest method, BUT there are several "IFs", and so it may not be the most suitable option. An adequately stable timer would probably need to be better than an average 555 timer circuit, depending on the temperature and supply voltage stability.

Last edited:

Mark1015

Joined May 15, 2020
Thanks. Times will be known and repeatable. I did realize multiple if statements would be Required. I will run some scenarios and share results. I really appreciate the advice. (May need more)