circuit that is monitoring the functionality of a chipper motor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mdu09, Sep 21, 2017.

1. mdu09

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    hello people
    I need some help here, so I have got a chipper motor, now if this motor trips there is no indication that shows if the motor has tripped or not,so I need a circuit that will indicate if the motor is running or it has tripped.

thank you

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What is a "chipper motor"?
    What does it mean when the "motor trips"?

3. Reloadron

Distinguished Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Depends on the motor. Would this motor be fossil fuel or an electric motor? If the motor is electric what would you like to monitor? My city runs a chipper through my neighborhood weekly and it is a large fossil fuel motor. Pretty easy to see what's going on in the feed chute, you would be well aware if the motor stopped. Then you say "tripped" can we assume an electrical overload? Should that be the case the motor likely has a start contactor with thermal overload. There should be a way to look at if the overload trips the contactor off line.You really need to provide much more information. like the motor name plate data and the motor run circuit.

Ron

4. Reloadron

Distinguished Member

Jan 15, 2015
    A "chipper" motor is a happy motor with a nice disposition. For example I may tell you "My Mr Chips, your motor is chipper today" meaning your motor is cheerful and lively. :)

Ron

MaxHeadRoom and shortbus like this.
  5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Apparently it is not very chipper as it keeps tripping!:p

@mdu09, if this is a AC 1ph or 3ph motor it could be just something as simple as a Neon indicator lamp, unless you want a audio indication?
    Max.

Reloadron likes this.
  6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    My motor doesn't run. I leap and I never trip.:)

Reloadron likes this.