circuit project

Txjanet

Joined Apr 22, 2006
I would like to know how to connect a light that is rigged for plugging into a car cigarette lighter to a deep cycle marine battery and have the battery supported by a small solar panel and then have it operational from a remote like a garage opener or something. How do I bypass the cigarette lighter and go straight to the big battery? How do I then introduce a remote on and off? This is a simple circuit but I do not understand how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Txjanet

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by Txjanet@Apr 22 2006, 04:18 PM
I would like to know how to connect a light that is rigged for plugging into a car cigarette lighter to a deep cycle marine battery and have the battery supported by a small solar panel and then have it operational from a remote like a garage opener or something. How do I bypass the cigarette lighter and go straight to the big battery? How do I then introduce a remote on and off? This is a simple circuit but I do not understand how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Txjanet
[post=16424]Quoted post[/post]​
Connect everything in series. Clip the lighter fixture off, strip the wires and connect the plus terminal of the battery to one side of an SPST(Single Pole Single Throw) switch. Connect the other side of the SPST Switch to one side of the light. connect the other side of the light to the other battery terminal. Move the switch from one position to the other. Light-On -- Light-Off

Now replace the simple mechanical switch with a remote switch.

For a deep cycle marine battery I would recommend a commercial charger. I'm no expert on chargers and I wouldn't want you damage the battery or injure yourself until you understand the issues with such batteries.

Good Luck - Hope this helps

Txjanet

Joined Apr 22, 2006
Originally posted by Papabravo@Apr 23 2006, 10:11 PM
Connect everything in series. Clip the lighter fixture off, strip the wires and connect the plus terminal of the battery to one side of an SPST(Single Pole Single Throw) switch. Connect the other side of the SPST Switch to one side of the light. connect the other side of the light to the other battery terminal. Move the switch from one position to the other. Light-On -- Light-Off

Now replace the simple mechanical switch with a remote switch.

For a deep cycle marine battery I would recommend a commercial charger. I'm no expert on chargers and I wouldn't want you damage the battery or injure yourself until you understand the issues with such batteries.

Good Luck - Hope this helps
[post=16459]Quoted post[/post]​