circuit interruptor

hazelle

Joined Feb 19, 2011
i have a project in microprocessor about circuit interrupters, which the main switch will automatically trip to off when it can detect an electrocuted person or leakages. Do you have any suggestion on how we will connect the ammeter to our 220V supply from the outlet? i really need suggestions... please... :(

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
You may also want to look up "residual current device". The terminology used to describe these devices varies between different regions of the world.

Most commonly, leakage is detected in terms of an imbalance in the circuit conductor currents, rather than by sensing current in the protective ground. This technique allows leakage to be detected even if it returns (for instance) to a damp floor rather than to the mains ground.

hazelle

Joined Feb 19, 2011
actually, our project is quite complicated... we are planning to make a circuit breaker, using a PIC, where when a person is electrocuted, the breaker would automatically trip off... we need idea on how to use the PIC without converting AC to DC... and how would the PIC read the 220V source from the outlet...

anyway, i am from the Philippines, and GFCI is not available here

Based on your question I would respectfully suggest you import one, a GFCI that is before going anywhere any power ......
Google 'Current transformerr' RE sensing and dont even think of supplying the uP witout using an isolation transformer.

Sorry to be blunt but this project could kill you if you go about it the wrong way.
It may also kill someone else if it dosnt work as intended and isnt fail safe.
My advice ..... DONT GO THERE unless its purly accademic research.
Al

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Do you have any suggestion on how we will connect the ammeter to our 220V supply from the outlet?
Use a current transformer, but what is the utility of metering current? Or of metering without conversion to DC?

Can you state how you intend to detect a possible electrocution?

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Snip... we are planning to make a circuit breaker, using a PIC, where when a person is electrocuted, the breaker would automatically trip off...
What's the point? If a person is "electrocuted" he or she is dead! If you meant to say "Detect when a person is receiving an electric shock", how will your circuit know the difference between current flow through a human vs a legitimate load?

FYI, GFIs don't protect humans from electric shock received between the 'Hot' and 'Neutral' (also called the 'Return').