Circuit board holder

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

That is a nice set-up.
You can always adapt the size of the holder, if you are working with larger PCB's.

Bertus

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That is a really nice tool. Where do you get the materials?

Or is this a kit that you purchase?

The tool is fine if it is DIY with off the shelf parts but a bit junky if it is a purchased kit.

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
That is a really nice tool. Where do you get the materials?

Or is this a kit that you purchase?

The tool is fine if it is DIY with off the shelf parts but a bit junky if it is a purchased kit.
You could do it yourself - or buy it.
http://www.qrpbuilder.com/downloads/pcb_holder_you_can_build.pdf
I have no idea where to get the parts or how much they would cost.
If I were to try it, I think I would use some wooden dowels and some scrap oak pieces that I have handy.
As long as it is only on a board with no electrical connection, I wouldn't think there would be any requirement to use ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene or nylon rods.
Wood would serve the purpose but not be as durable.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Oak wood make a really nice looking vice. I think I would use a screw like they use in regular vices instead of the rubber band to hold the board in place.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
Home Depot stocks clear plastic sheets which could be used this way. Some of my friends use plastic cutting boards which they trim to size with a table saw. The rods can come from a craft / hobby / art supply store. Of course, if you have a small table-top lathe, you can turn them from plastic cutting board scraps. Don't confuse plastic cutting boards with ceramic ones, as unpredictable results may occur.