choosing DC H-bridge Mosfets with PWM input

bassplayer142

Joined Jan 2, 2007
I am using a pwm input from a micro to control a motor. I looked into the lmd18200 from another post here but the price tag is steep and making one would be fun. So what is a good cmos controlled mosfet that I can use to control the motor. I would like one that would be capable of up to 12V and maybe 3-5 amps. I figure with external mosfets that shouldn't be an issue. I just want the mosfets to be cheap and easily switchable with a micro. A circuit schematic would work also as long as it shows the parts. Thanks!

kkazem

Joined Jul 23, 2009
Hi,
You'll have to be very careful about this. Unless you're PWM carrier frequency is quite low, like a few hundred hertz, you cannot drive the power MOSFETs with standard CMOS logic, as they are not suited for it. The power MOSFETs, although not needing any steady-state current as they are electrically isolated from the Drain and Source, they do have significant capacitance that in a 20KHz PWM usually requires a minimum of 1amp to 2amps during the transitions. You either need to design your own MOSFET driver or use one of many off-the-shelf units. Another factor is that to drive the upper fet in a Half or Full MOSFET bridge, you need 12 to 15V above it's source, which is floating. This is usually done with an ultrafast diode and a 0.1uF to 1uF ceramic cap. These mosfet drivers are not incredibly expensive and I can recommend for ease of use and very good operating characteristics up to about 50KHZ carrier frequency, the International Rectifier IR2110 half-bridge driver IC. You'll need 2 each of them for a full H-bridge.

The layout is very critical between the driver IC and the MOSFETs and I recommend as a necessity, that you thoroughly read the application notes from IR on the IR2110 IC, whether you use it or not. The principle's stated in there app notes apply to any high-speed MOSFET driver.

Regards,
Kamran Kazem