Choosing a First DSP

redclifffe

Joined Jul 21, 2011
HI,

I've mostly been playing around with Arduino and AVR based stuff, but am now moving to a project that needs more power.

I want to experiment with building an audio processor system, primarily to use as a 2 channel 5 band parametric equaliser or a graphic equaliser. Either I've been searching for the wrong things or there seems to be less around in the way of simple development kits in these. Could anyone point me in the direction of the right sort of development kit to use or resources on choosing a DSP? Most I've found are more aimed towards experienced engineering people. Thanks,

David

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Well I know Microchip best but never done high quality audio with them. Here is their audio page. However, at first glance they only work up to 16KHz, not enough for high quality. But may be worth a look anyway. Their codecs require a license, but are free to download and test out.

Most I've found are more aimed towards experienced engineering people.
If you get this working you will BE an experienced engineering people.

redclifffe

Joined Jul 21, 2011
LOL ok. Could perhaps a dsPIC be able to handle it if I put a 2 channel 16 bit ADC capable of 44khz sampling on the front? Seems many of these DSP IC's only go 10bit. Thanks,

David

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
My dev board for a PIC32 has a WM8731SEDS/V Stereo Audio Codec that claims sampling word lengths of 16 to 32 bits at rates from 8 to 96KHz.

I've not used it, it's just the one example of something I am aware of that could do this, and at least Mouser has 4,600 on their shelve ready to ship.

I've used freescale soundbite. The tools aren't very good for them, though. Eclipse-based which is pretty cool. But they're buggy and not well documented. However, the hardware is perfect for audio and for what you want to do. Thats exactly what i bought one for. Relatively cheap too. So if you feel like messing with the tools, this could be a way to go.

TI stuff is good. C5510 is 16 bit and i think the dev kit supports up to 96k sampling if i recall. Tools are good. Lots of documentation.

redclifffe

Joined Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the info. At this point I've ordered a dsPIC development board, and am planning to put a stereo 16bit 44khz A/D on the front of it. Should at least let me get started, learning to the math and programming requirements. So far I've had trouble finding a DIP packaged A/D like this. I've been looking at so Analog Semiconductor A/Ds such as the AD1974(4 channel), but all are in surface mount format, and the adaptors are expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks,

David