Choose device values given Vin and Vout

applefat

Joined Oct 12, 2007
Hello;

I've really been pulling my hair on this AC analysis design question, though I assure you I have put in a significant amount of effort before coming here. The attached circuit is VERY simple, so I clearly must be making the same mistake over and over.:confused:

What I've tried to do mainly is approach it like a reverse thevenin-equivalent problem, but instead of having to find Vo, you already have it. Then you choose a value for one of the resistors and go from there, using impedance, but I absolutely cannot get a reasonable answer (that is, POSITIVE resistances and REAL capacitance!)

I've tried nodal, thevenin, and mesh (simultaneous equations), but the latter especially went nowhere fast.

Please, anyone who can point me in a good direction for properly approaching this problem will earn a huge amount of appreciation!!!

Attachments

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
are you positive about that phase number of 104 deg? i did not think reactance could cause any more then 90 deg phase shift, and even then it is only ideal.

applefat

Joined Oct 12, 2007
are you positive about that phase number of 104 deg? i did not think reactance could cause any more then 90 deg phase shift, and even then it is only ideal.
Yep, it's what the assignment sheet tells me anyway, and while it could be an error, he isn't really known for them...

The functions:
Vi = 12cos(1000t) V
Vo = 2.5cos(1000t+104) V

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That's a head-scratcher - I thought RC combos only approached 90 deg phase shift. I'm glad I never had to mess with those school problems.