chip heatsinks

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I am in need of a heatsinking solution for a board.
Right now I had the idea that some stuff uses glued heatsinks like this one http://routerz.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC_12131.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with these? For example how much does the glue hold and if it will hold in vibration tests? Any sources for these?

Another option would be something that is mounted using springs like old PC chipset heatsinks. As well, any info or comments on those?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Hello Mr. kubeek !!

I don't run onto these very often, tho' the majority of those I have seen, apply the heatsink with the conductive grease, and hold the sink down with dense white, what appears to be a silicon hot-glue.
I don't believe regular hotglue would work, if the chip produced enough heat to keep the glue in a fluid state.

Do you have enough room available on the pcb, to perforate it for a nylon or delrin zip-tie ?
There's gotta be more than one way to skin that cat...:D

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I believe that some space on the pcb could be arranged to fit the zip tie through, but also I think that my superiors would not like this kind of attachement.
It would be great if I could find something like thermal glue that would act as a thermal grease but also hold the heatsink in place, I have definitely seen such done but I have no idea where to get it.
Even for the heatsink that should be in a ~10x10mm size so that there is no colision with other parts, I found only some offers on ebay, but nothing like a major manufacturer of such solutions.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
There are some 2-part epoxy products available, whose chemistry allows them to remain in a very dense, though flexible state when cured, whereas some epoxies set up rock solid...

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The arctic silver 2 part works just fine.. You must work quick with it though as it hardens quickly.

I've also used a heatsink that came with some double sided tape on it and it sucked.. While it does hold (barely) it is NOT suitable for high vibration,etc..

The best is something with a spring pin connection.. If you don't have the board finished then thats what I would recommend.

I also love these (used them to keep a mosfet dissipating up to 10W under control).. http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DA-T263-101E/DA-T263-101E-ND/2207646 They are reflow soldered when the rest of the parts are put on and can be placed with pick/place machines for higher volume.. And they really do get the heat out for what they are.

Of course you didn't say what thermal resistance you need...