Chip dictionary

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi everyone

Dont think this exists but im sick of having to open different datasheets for different components so im making a piece of software that has many IC's that you can select and instantly shows the pin layout

Robin
Its called ChipDIC

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
That would be pretty handy.

I mostly use the online datasheet databases, as they are most up to date.

Trying to get all the datasheets as PDF or other format may be the large hurdle. Doing pinouts only would be nifty, but the same data problem exists for the sheer number of devices available.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I think they exist they are just all out of date or incomplete. That would be a great community project. Even justa part number, name, pinout and pin name would be cool. Great idea.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
well so far i have a program that just shows the pinouts. It only contains one chip, 4008 :p. Every chip is saved in a text file (on its own) and you just select a type of chip. So first, 4000 series, then 4008 :)

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi everyone

Dont think this exists but im sick of having to open different datasheets for different components so im making a piece of software that has many IC's that you can select and instantly shows the pin layout

Robin
Its called ChipDIC
It would be nice if one of the features were a comparison table of different transistors, and their substitutes, the same for diodes. Then I would buy it. :)

Maybe there is a database like that out there I haven't found... :confused:

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Do you know what i like about bertus, he is the most polite :p

I think i will like to persu this, seems a worth while project. What i want is not 100 chips on one page, i have to go through and look for it, i want a list that can do a search and instantly show the pinouts. An interactive program which you can include your own IC's as well!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You should take it a step further and add spice models for the ICs as you go.

That way as you lookup the ICs you want, you can also grab the spice model and use it in layouts and simulations...

Now THAT would be helpful.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have been doing some thinking about this project. I think the pin outs don't need to be drawn. I think just a listing with each pin function would do.

If you still want a graphic representation of the chip then it probably should be generated by your program as opposed to drawing each one free hand and storing the image.

Or I suppose you could "borrow" the image from the datasheet but that would probably violate some copyright laws.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
thats what my program does, it has different default chips from 8 pin to 40 pin. then you just change the pin layout]
But at the moment im using text graphics:

Rich (BB code):
   Chip Name here

---------
XXXX|         |XXXX
XXXX|         |XXXX
XXXX|         |XXXX
XXXX|         |XXXX
XXXX|         |XXXX
XXXX|         |XXXX
XXXX|         |XXXX
XXXX|         |XXXX