Chinese Plasma machine repair

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
......Maybe in the future there might be parts available...
"If" repair parts were "ever" available for these machines (which I doubt), the likelihood of you getting them is inversely proportional to the passage of time. The main function of these cheap imports is to be sold, not maintained.

ken

Ron B.

Joined Jul 4, 2009
Same damned top board!!!.:(
I guess what we should do is find a source of information regarding the transformer ,how many windings etc . I know i can get them rewound here but i suspect they use gold plated wire :rolleyes: or 25 ct wire in a lot of cases where I have had them rewound for odd machines.
I know how a transformer works but I tend to get a bit glassy eyed when the principles of calculating the out put are explained to me.
I've been down country for my work but i have found that other plasma/tig machines have the same boards but on has a coil instead of the multiplier arrangement.
With your top board,can you see the timer for the plasma start ? Is it possible for you to point it out so i can find it on mine..(duh..:rolleyes: ) .i think I should be able to work a car coil and spark plug using the top board as is. Any thoughts on this?

Re the cost...well i've spent the money buying it,and the local supplier just plainly refuses to help (email to day confirms this) so I might just take it up with my local MP and see if all chinese imports can be tested for quality as local goods used to be until a few years ago. Not much point sending our hard earned money overseas and receive rubbish in return.
our primeminister is enamored of the chicom government he actually speaks fluent manadarin so he should have one his minions do something...ha ha :D

Slayr

Joined Jul 6, 2009
With your top board,can you see the timer for the plasma start ? Is it possible for you to point it out so i can find it on mine..(duh..:rolleyes: ) .i think I should be able to work a car coil and spark plug using the top board as is. Any thoughts on this?

I'll get back to you on that Ron B. May be able to tomorrow.

Ron B.

Joined Jul 4, 2009
I have dug further into this thing and found that the capacitors and Diodes in the HF start are all made in Korea so thats a plus. The only problem I am having now is that the diodes (RP1H ) are 2000v and most electronic places here only have 1000v in stock ,and are a bit amazed that i would even want such a thing. There are two large caps in parallel which are 10KV and again this is beyond the scope of computors etc i guess because there is little chance of me finding them in the regular retail places.

So,if i can find those diodes i may just be able to get the PCB up again ..

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
For what you describe, I would head to my local electronics surplus (aka junk) store. It has lots of parts from the days of vacuum tubes.

Are you in an area that would have such an emporium? Maybe an HV supply from a non-functional CRT device might have them.

John

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
I have dug further into this thing and found that the capacitors and Diodes in the HF start are all made in Korea so thats a plus. The only problem I am having now is that the diodes (RP1H ) are 2000v and most electronic places here only have 1000v in stock ,and are a bit amazed that i would even want such a thing. There are two large caps in parallel which are 10KV and again this is beyond the scope of computors etc i guess because there is little chance of me finding them in the regular retail places.

So,if i can find those diodes i may just be able to get the PCB up again ..
two 1kv diodes in series gives you 2kv :)

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
For what you describe, I would head to my local electronics surplus (aka junk) store. It has lots of parts from the days of vacuum tubes.

Are you in an area that would have such an emporium? Maybe an HV supply from a non-functional CRT device might have them.

John

b/w TV have EHT of about 15000v to 18000v and col. TV EHT is about 20000to 25000v
i don't think that will solve the problem .

Ruptor

Joined Apr 26, 2009
b/w TV have EHT of about 15000v to 18000v and col. TV EHT is about 20000to 25000v
i don't think that will solve the problem .
Yes I was going to suggest using a tripler from a colour TV because the diodes are very high voltage but I don't know if they can stand the current since they are used to give a DC potential only. The tripler includes the capacitors as well. Worth a go they should be two a penny now that everybody wants Plasma or LCD TV.

PlasmaMan

Joined Jul 27, 2009
I've tried for several months to get info on these 3 in 1 machines with no luck. Aside from forums that talk about them their seems to be no repair parts that can be had. None found by me anyway. Got a Chiry 520D with a burned transformer on the top board just waiting for a hero to help it burn. Pics below if anyone knows anything about it. Transformer is EE25 200:6. Thanks.

View attachment 10600

View attachment 10599
You need that transformer? If so I have several.

styd

Joined Jul 9, 2009
The trick to open these transformer core is to put them sitting upside down on an electric cooking plate, let the core heat and transfer so the glue used to lock the whole thing kind of become softer enought so you can pull appart the two side.
use your wife's kitchen oven protective glows to handle the transformer as it will be quite hot.
Pull gently never force it will come out when hot enought.
others got also good result boiling in water the transformer...
once opened it's just a matter of counting how many turn and measure wire diameter used.
if you don't feel good at first make a try on a TV or computer flyback.
I wish some of you could take time to reverse engineering take close and good picture and post a good schematic with components values of one of these HF unit in these chinese machine as they are faultly in many, and are basically all the same whatever fancy brand they are.
for what concern the 2kv rectifier yes it can be replaced by two 1kv in serie
and the same apply for capacitors : read about tesla coils you'll learn a lot.

looking forward

styd

Joined Jul 9, 2009
The trick to open these transformer once unsoldered is to put them sitting upside down on an electrical cooking plate so the heat treansfer slowly in the core an kind of soften the glue used to secure the whole assembly.
use kitchen oven glowes to handle the transformer as it can be quite hot, pull gently appart the two halves never force it will come when hot enought.
It is then just a matter of counting the turn number and wire diameter for each coil. and rewound the thing taking care of good insulation between layer
if you don't feel good a first get a scrap computers supply or CRT monitor,
rip the transformer and give it a try.
By the way in the CRT monitor you will get enought enameled copper wire to rewind your transformer.
At once it will be a good thing if one of you could take time to reverse engineering one of these HF unit in these chinese machines take good close pictures from up and bottom make a clear schematic with components value, as these are quite all the same whatever tig, plasma,or combo fancy brand they are.
from that many could repair at least that side of their machine.

for what concern 2Kv rectifier yes you can replace by two 1Kv rated one in serie.
the same for capacitors : read pages about tesla coil or marks generators as an exemple.
Looking forwards