Cheapest & Easiest solution for a custom PCB

wdfreemanjr

Joined Dec 6, 2011
Hello,

I am just tinkering around, but I need to design a custom PCB. What is the cheapest and or fastest PCB method for creating one. DIY

Thanks in advance,
Bill

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I do it in pencil and then cut it with a Dremel with a tapered diamond bit/ Surface mount only, no through holes.

Of course, the "modern" solution is Protel but you need an assistant to hold your nose while using it. I absolutely HATED using Protel.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
This thread is related:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=63029

This is the IC that our OP needs the board for:

Looks like a non-standard DFN type, and unless the datasheet is available, it will be tough to figure out what the dimensions need to be.

If your hands are steady enough,and eyesight good enough to manually draw out DFN pads, go for it. I wouldn't want to waste my time, as it would take me forever.

You could use Cadsoft Eagle; which is available in a freeware mode for non-profit use. You can design 1-page schematics and 2-layer boards that are up to ~3" x ~4".

You will most likely need to design a library part for your IC.

If you are going to try Cadsoft Eagle, then I strongly recommend Sparkfun's Eagle tutorial:
http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/108
If you are not willing to spend the time going through the tutorial, you may as well not bother even trying to use Eagle, as you will be frustrated and feel lost. Trust me on this. I spent months trying to get by just using the Help files for everything. The SparkFun tutorial route would have been so much easier.

Eagle is not exactly easy to learn, but it is very powerful.

ExpressPCB/ExpressSCH is free and unlimited as far as number of layers and board size, except ExpressPCB is the only board house that can use the files exported by the program - and they are not exactly cheap. I don't care too much for the program, but it's better than doing it by hand.

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
He said the pitch was the same as an SOIC, so an SOIC outline with "stretched" soldering pads should do the trick, since that DFN looks to be about the "square" dimensions of an SOIC with the leads.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
As I tried to explain in the other thread, RF modules won't work well on a breadboard, as far too many parasitics will be introduced.

Also, this module has an antenna embedded in it; if that area is not as per the datasheet specifications, not only will performance be very poor, but if it is a transmitter, it may actually be damaged by the impedance mismatch.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
ExpressPCB/ExpressSCH is free and unlimited as far as number of layers and board size, except ExpressPCB is the only board house that can use the files exported by the program - and they are not exactly cheap. I don't care too much for the program, but it's better than doing it by hand.
While ExpressPCB my lack in some features and may not be adequate for your needs, it is extremely easy to use for a newbie like myself.

I may someday graduate to Eagle Cad but for now I will stick to ExpressPCB.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You'd think by now somebody would have made a nifty hack-tool that would convert ExpressPCB files into Gerber compliant board and drill files.

I doubt ExpressPCB has their entire setup running on non-standard equipment, so they probably translate the file somehow, but I guess it is possible that they don't use standard equipment.