Chassis mount 3.5mm stereo plug

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Does anyone have a source for 3.5mm stereo plugs (not jacks) that are designed for chassis, panel, or PCB mount? I need something like the plug that's on the second generation Apple Shuffle charging stand that I can mount on a panel or PCB.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I've never seen a 3.5mm plug (male) in panel mount, but an easy solution would be to buy a normal male plug and unscrew the plastic casing, then the metal plug part (that has the thread) can be screwed into your panel.

It sounds delicate, 3.5mm plugs are breakable enough without sticking out of front panels!

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I've never seen a 3.5mm plug (male) in panel mount, but an easy solution would be to buy a normal male plug and unscrew the plastic casing, then the metal plug part (that has the thread) can be screwed into your panel.
After looking one over, I think it might work. Hole size will be critical, and it would be nice to have a nut on the back side. Thanks.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'd get one with a metal knurled shell (casing) and drill the right size hole to press fit it into. (just slightly smaller than the OD of the plug)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I'd get one with a metal knurled shell (casing) and drill the right size hole to press fit it into. (just slightly smaller than the OD of the plug)
I may have to do that. CUI did confirm that the threads are M8 x 1.0, but I haven't located a source for mating nuts.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If you buy a male plug with a metal outer casing, you can cut the threaded end of the casing, to make a usable "nut".

Also you might want to check metric pots, from memory I think their nuts are 8mm with a fine thread.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Also you might want to check metric pots, from memory I think their nuts are 8mm with a fine thread.
You are correct; the nuts are 8mm with a fine thread. In fact, it's too fine for the plug threads. It must be M8 x 1.25 if the plug threads are M8 x 1.0. (I assume the 1.25 means 1 1/4 threads per mm; correct?)

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
No. The 1.0 means that each thread is 1mm. For example, 1.25 would be a coarser pitch. SAE threads are defined as the number in an inch while metric threads simply state the width of an individual thread. The two methods are reciprocal concepts.

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
No. The 1.0 means that each thread is 1mm. For example, 1.25 would be a coarser pitch. SAE threads are defined as the number in an inch while metric threads simply state the width of an individual thread. The two methods are reciprocal concepts.
Thanks for the info. That makes me wonder what the threads from the pot actually are. When I measure them with my (inch only) dial caliper, it looks like .031" thread spacing, which would convert to .787 mm. Maybe they are M8 x .75?