Charging battery with an alternator? (lead acid or li-ion/po)

theKnightWhoSaysNi

Joined Jun 7, 2018
Hi, I'm really new to electronics si excuse me if I my question is dumb, I'ld like to use an alternator to charge a battery, I have both lead acid and lithium batteries, and I want to charge either one with an alternator, how can I do that efficiently ? I'm talking about 200w power generation at least, possibly spread around multiple batteries. My problem is that i can't just plug a lithium charger directly to the alternator ( which power output would be very unstable, (working like between 200w and 300w for an hour then nothing for 2 hours, then 100w, you get it ). Can I store the surplus energy before it is slowly put in the batteries?

Thanks a lot!

jhovel

Joined Jul 9, 2016
So where does the motive power come from? Diesel, water, wind? What do you want to store it for? to use during times of no motive power - like a grid failure backup or something?
In any case, one simple (not necessarily the MOST efficient) option is to get a 12V to mains voltage inverter and just feed it whatever power is available from your alternator. You would need a 600W inverter (plenty on ebay and quite cheap and efficient these days). You maximum output is 12V x 45A = 540W
Then you can plug into that whatever charger you have/want for your batteries.

theKnightWhoSaysNi

Joined Jun 7, 2018
So where does the motive power come from? Diesel, water, wind? What do you want to store it for? to use during times of no motive power - like a grid failure backup or something?
In any case, one simple (not necessarily the MOST efficient) option is to get a 12V to mains voltage inverter and just feed it whatever power is available from your alternator. You would need a 600W inverter (plenty on ebay and quite cheap and efficient these days). You maximum output is 12V x 45A = 540W
Then you can plug into that whatever charger you have/want for your batteries.
Thank you so much, your help is much appreciated, could I use ont of those ?
http://www.dx.com/p/doxin-600w-car-dc-12v-to-ac-220v-power-inverter-silver-297804
Thanks !

5mudg3r

Joined Jun 22, 2018
Newby here but im interested in this as i use radio comms portable and use car alternator to perk up a multiple unit battery bank. I was under the impression car alternators should not be used without a load ie battery to prevent large voltage / current spikes. Is this not the case ?

I also use a lithium battery system and recharge that off the alternator via a CC / CV boost converter 20 amp,but never to 100% ie 4.2 a cell only too 4.1 for safety. But i do have a PB battery inline from alternator.