Charging 5 AA's with USB

Crazy8

Joined Mar 31, 2014
I think I am posting this in the right area, If not I apologize. Anyway I have just bought the Wouxun AA battery case so that I can power my KG-UV6D with AA if ever needed. Well I usually do my research before embarking on a project but I thought this one would be pretty straight forward. Now I am not so sure. So, what I have done was attached (epoxied) a micro USB port to the bottom of the Wouxun AA Battery case so that I could recharge the rechargeable batteries I will be putting into the case, via USB. Of course after drowning it in epoxy, did my other ideas and questions come up. For instance, could I attach an LED that only turns on when the USB is plugged in? What would I need to do that? How will I know when the batteries reach full charge? Knowing when the batteries reach full charge is the biggest one. I have next to no room to work with inside the case, I'm lucky to get the couple wires to squeeze in, and I don't want to make my case too bulky. Would I be able to add the needed components to this to do what I want? Take into consideration that I have my USB port already under a lot of epoxy, which will be sanded down to look nice. I also have little experience with building circuits and basic knowledge right now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
USB is meant to supply a smart charger, not to directly charge batteries.

How many cells do you have in your pack, four in series? What rechargeable chemistry do you hope to use? (nicad, LiMH, Li-ion?)

Could you live with a charger that is external to the battery case, sort of an "in line" device between the USB power source and your battery pack?

Crazy8

Joined Mar 31, 2014
USB is meant to supply a smart charger, not to directly charge batteries.

How many cells do you have in your pack, four in series? What rechargeable chemistry do you hope to use? (nicad, LiMH, Li-ion?)

Could you live with a charger that is external to the battery case, sort of an "in line" device between the USB power source and your battery pack?
Thats cool, my name is also Wayne and my last name also begins with H. :) Its 5 batteries in serial. I plan on using 2300mAh NiMH Energizer or Sanyo Eneloop XX. I guess if I had to, I could have a charger outside of the pack. What did you have in mind? I was just hoping to be able to build in charging functionality into the pack itself.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think you should read this. Charging NiMH is not so simple.

Charging a 6V pack with 5V from a USB power source will require a boost DC-DC converter, for one thing. The good news is that you can buy one of those off e-bay really cheap these days.

Crazy8

Joined Mar 31, 2014
Congratulations. I have been licensed since the late 60's, and have really enjoyed it. 73
Not to change the subject but I got it out of necessity a couple years ago. I have been doing Skywarn for about 5 years now and as of March 10, 2014 I have been appointed, by the ARRL, as ARES Emergency Coordinator for my county. So that's more or less the need for my general now. I have enjoyed ham radio very much and I am glad I got into it. So much has come from it and I have a lot of fun with it. Im KD0RVY btw. :)